Wednesday, March 8, 2017

Cicero Beverage Co Salted Caramel - #73, 6.0 out of 12

Cicero Beverage Co. is located in Chicago. My girlfriend is highly excited that this is a Certified Women-Owned business. I guess that explains why I find little about the history. Women, unlike men, typically don’t brag about themselves or their success.

They are also the makers of Capone, a unique beverage rated high and low in my review. A web search stated that after trying to figure out the best-tasting root beer, the company stumbled upon the idea of Salted Caramel Root Beer after eating a delicious caramel candy, and the rest, as they say, is history.


Ingredients:

Carbonated Water, Sugar, Caramel Color, Natural & Artificial Flavor, Salt (Sodium Chloride), Sodium Benzoate (Preservative), and Citric Acid.



Nutrition 12 oz. serving (from the bottle)

180 Calories
130 mg Sodium.
45 g (15%) of Daily Carbohydrates
 mg Caffeine

Aroma and Flavor – 1.5 out of 3 mugs

Immediately upon opening, the aroma of caramel was in the air.  This is one of the most aromatic beverages I experienced.  At first drink, I was turned away by the sweetness.  I imagined I just melted a whole batch of caramels and carbonated them, followed by a sip.  There is a splash of vanilla noted.  I also could tell immediately this was a high-sodium drink.  More than I could handle.   Of over 70 brews reviewed, only one was higher (Sky Valley Organic, which rated very low at 3.25 out of 12), and all but three were half the sodium.

Head – 1.0 out of 3 mugs  

While there was a head, it was small and uneventful. 

Zip – 2.0 out of 3 mugs  

This scored higher in zip, not because of complexity but for the intense caramel and salt.  These should gain little merit, yet the zip is noted.

Post Consumption Impression – 1.5 out of 3 mugs  

The brew is sweet, excessively sweet for my liking. I score this at 1.5 as it has some merit if you love caramel and salt, but not for me in general.

I recommend this at 6.0 out of 12 mugs.

If you want an intense, rich caramel dessert, this is a sure hit. However, if you want to enjoy a beverage with a burger, brat, or good conversation, this is a little too much. So, depending on your preferences, try it. I find it hard to dislike, but I would prefer a 6-ounce bottle.

OTHER RATINGS


No comments:

Post a Comment