Saturday, March 11, 2017

Dachshunds III - #75, 10.3 out of 12

I wanted to make #75 a good one.  I had tasted this before and had recalled it was enjoyable.  I hope it does not let me down.

According to the website, the history is as follows: 

One day, with some prompting and pressure from my soon-to-be wife, I decided to get a dog, (preferably a dachshund since that is what the wife desired). I had never had a dog, but decided to take a chance. I found the first of the III Dachshunds in an animal shelter in Elkhorn, Wisconsin. Her name was Lillie. One month later, we ended up getting a second little one seeing how much joy the first had brought us. In comes Otto – that little rascal of a boy. Another month goes by and we hear about a little girl named Sophie who is in a dachshund rescue in Illinois – the poor thing was found as a stray and we found ourselves unable to say no for the third time.

So the trifecta was now complete! Lillie, Otto and Sophie are the complete inspiration for this company. After having the dogs for about a year I realized how many similarities there were between the dachshund and beer – such as names. For example, our dogs have the “smooth red” coat or there’s a “black and tan” coat, what great names for beer! And from that point on it has been a complete explosion of ideas which has resulted in this beer company.  They have a cute logo!



That was interesting to me!  Funny how little thinks can change a life?


Ingredients: Triple Filtered Carbonated Water, Sugar, Caramel Color, Natural and Artificial Flavors, Maltodextrin, Citric Acid, Sodium Benzoate as a Preservative



Nutrition 12 oz. serving (from the bottle)

120 Calories
14 mg Sodium.
45g (15%) of Daily Carbohydrates
0 mg Caffeine

Aroma and Flavor – 2.6 out of 3 mugs

Upon opening, there was very slight, yet pleasing.  The first was joyous, yet the aftertaste was a little heavy caramel flavor.  It was pleasing, yet could cause others to shy from the beverage.  It is very creamy and smooth.

Head – 2.8 out of 3 mugs  

The head is very significant.  Almost excessive at first but dissipated to an acceptable level before I enjoyed my first sip.  I have only found Henry Weinhard's to have a more significant head.

Zip – 2.5 out of 3 mugs  

The beverage has a nice mix of carbonation, flavors and sweetness.  I have used Maltodextrin before and this was a nice touch.  For those who do not know, Maltodextrin is often used in beer brewing.  It increases the gravity of the product.  This supposedly improves the feel of the beer in the mouth, increases head retention and reduces the dryness of the drink.

Post Consumption Impression – 2.5 out of 3 mugs  

I really like the brew.  I reduced the score slightly for the high caramel taste, which almost created an excessive sweetness.  Although this is on the higher side for sugar, it is 68th out of 75 tested for calories per ounce.
 
Would I recommend this at 10.3 out of 12 mugs?

If you do not like caramel, I would not suggest the beverage.  If you want an enjoyable brew for all occasion, this is one of my higher rated brews.  Especially as it is 1/3rd less calories that many others I have consumed. 

OTHER RATINGS


No comments:

Post a Comment