Sunday, November 6, 2016

Homer Soda Maple Syrup Root Beer (#56 rated, 8.6 out of 12)

This is a soda company started about a decade ago by Ray and Christine Cunningham in Home, Illinois.  Homer is a small town of about 1,000 people about 20 miles southwest of Champaign, Illinois.  The Cunningham’s were closing the shop after a few years when it was purchased by Kate and Rob Boyer.  According to a you-tube video, Kate loves the idea of small business owners and enjoys being in the small town on Homer.  She could not see it close.

They have five children ages 3 to 13.  They really believe in the importance of teaching their children about where their food comes from and how it is produced.  They took a class on making maple syrup.  Through hours to work, they fell in love with the result.  They decided to try it with root beer and now we have this beverage. 

Three years ago they started a soda festival.  They say the Homer Soda Fest bring 10,000 people and well over 100 beverage to test.  I may have to try that someday!

The last maple syrup soda I had rated really low, so I am both optimistic yet ready for disappointment.


Ingredients:  Carbonated water, Real Sugar, Natural Flavors, caramel Color, Citric Acid, Sodium Benzoate, and Potassium Sorbate.



Nutrition 12 oz. serving (from the bottle)

No nutritional information on the Bottle (How can that be legal, I thought that was mandated?)

Aroma and Flavor – 2.3 out of 3 mugs

Upon opening there was a deep and rich aroma.  Obvious maple flavor (although I noted Maple Syrup is not an ingredient).  The first drink is rather sweet, although excessively sweet for my liking.  It was smooth and has a real strong maple, vanilla and caramel taste.  I scored this higher as I would really like this if I craved a SWEET root beer.

Head –2.0 out of 3 mugs  

The head was nice with mid-sized foam.  It was not long lasting foam.  I think this would make a great float.

Zip – 2.0 out of 3 mugs  

The carbonation was upper middle with the high sweetness that could be quite stiffing for those who prefer a sweet beverage.

Post Consumption Impression – 2.30 out of 3 mugs  

I really liked, did not like, but like this root beer.  It had a unique combination that if I wanted a really sweet root beer, this is high on the list.
 
Would I recommend this at 8.6 out of 12 mugs?

This root beer you should try, but be prepared for the a very sweet and smooth beverage.  I am rather disappointed that nowhere could I find the nutritional information.  I really would like to know the sodium and sugar content.  That may alter the score significantly.

OTHER RATINGS


No comments:

Post a Comment