Thursday, November 10, 2016

Fest Pecan Root Beer (#58 - rates 6.25 out of 12)

Intriguing to say the least.  Pecan root beer?  I love the taste of pecans yet can’t imagine what this will bring?

This is a brew from New Orleans.  It is named for King Joe Oliver, jazz pioneer of the brothels and bars of New Orleans.  He was nicknamed Papa Joe by Louis Armstrong! Fest has four soda flavors: Almond Cola, Pecan Root Beer, Bourbon Cream and Satsuma Mint soda.  I am not sure how this story really blends into the beverage, other than a cool story.


Ingredients: carbonated water, sugar, natural flavors, caramel color, phosphoric acid, sodium benzoate (preservative), potassium sorbate (preservative)



Nutrition 12 oz. serving (from the bottle)

170 Calories
15 mg Sodium.
45 g (15%) of Daily Carbohydrates
0 mg Caffeine

Aroma and Flavor – 2.0 out of 3 mugs

At the twist of the cap, I anticipated a nice aroma, like only that pecans can provide.  This thought came to mind by the color of the soda as well.  A light pecan color, not a deep dark root beer color.  Immediately upon opening, I was disappointed.  At best it was a sweet flavored water aroma.  The aroma did not provide any anticipation for drinking the beverage.

Then came the first sip and it was very sweet.  A little much for my enjoyment.  There was a small pecan flavor, nothing overpowering and just enough to make you think about what you are drinking.  It really tastes more like a cream soda than a root beer.  I do like cream soda, so that made drinking the bottle easier.

Head –1.5 out of 3 mugs  

The head is medium at best with very small bubble.  It totally dissipated quickly and there is not remint at all.

Zip – 1.5 out of 3 mugs  

This beverage has a unique flavor, again more like a cream soda than a root beer.  It is a good combination for the soda, just not for a root beer.

Post Consumption Impression – 1.25 out of 3 mugs  

I was really mixed on this brew.  I tended to like it as I like a cream soda, but did not like it as I thought I was going have a deep rich root beer with a pecan hint. 
 
Would I recommend this at 6.25 out of 12 mugs?

If you like a cream soda, give it a try.  If you like a mid-carbonation rooty root beer with little sweetness, I suggest looking at another brew.

OTHER RATINGS

No comments:

Post a Comment