Saturday, November 28, 2015

Frostie Vanilla (#24 - Rated 3.0 out of 12)

Frostie was originally produced as a root beer in 1939.  Over time, they expanded the varieties to 10, of which three are root beer based.  In 1979, Frostie was purchased by Monarch Beverage Company (Dad’s and Ramblin Root Beer).  In 2000, after years of faltering sales, it was sold to Leading Edge Brands who in 2009 sold it to Intrastate Distributors.


Ingredients: Carbonated water, High Fructose Corn Syrup and/or sugar, caramel color, Sodium benzoate, Citric Acid, and natural and artificial flavors

I assume they list more than one sugar option so they can just add the least expensive option when making the beverage and would not need to upgrade the bottle.

Nutrition (from the bottle)

180 Calories 
50 mg Sodium.
46g Sugar (17%) of Daily Carbohydrates
0 mg Caffeine

Aroma and Flavor – 1.0 out of 3 mugs

Immediately upon opening, I realized frosty vanilla root beer is not a root beer. The first aroma is like opening a heavily fragranced aroma vanilla candle.  I compare it to what I would envision a cupcake stuffed up my nose would be like.  It did not take much knowledge to understand this was corn syrup based as it get the same aroma from opening a corn syrup bottle. 

Then came my first drink.  Crazy vanilla soaked in sugar cubes is my first thought.  It gave me an ill feeling after a few minutes.  This is not a beverage I will to purchase again.  I only awarded this a 1 as it is intense and if that is the desire, they deserve some credit.  I almost think they were trying to mimic a bad vanilla ice cream root beer float

Head – 0.0 out of 3 mugs  

The head was pretty much nonexistent even when I try to make the head it using every technique I could, it was really visible.

Zip – 1.0 out of 3 mugs  

This is flat.  At times, I almost thought I was drinking lightly carbonated corn syrup.

Post Consumption Impression – 1.0 out of 3 mugs  

I hate to give any beverage less than a 1.0, as I am sure there are some merits.  I can’t find anything I prefer in a beverage in the Frostie Vanilla Root Beer.  The sweetness and intensity are overwhelming!  In fact, I tossed the last portion as I just could not continue drinking this liquid vanilla almond bark.

Would I recommend this at 3 out of 12 mugs?

I had some people try it in the house and one of them said it's like a putting excessively vanilla frosted birthday cake in a blender and taking a drink.  I don't think it is good in a soda!  Looking at the ingredients, this is his artificial was one could get. It is obviously a heavy commercial drink. Made at the lowest cost to gain the highest consumer. With 50 mg of sodium, it is the highest I have ever encountered and 46 g of carbs/sugar is really excessive.  If you liked Golden Maple (which I hated) you will love this beverage.  Otherwise, move to another option. 

As you can see below, not many agree with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment