Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Judge Wapner (#20 - Rated 8.0 out of 12)

Rocket Fizz is the maker of this and a variety of other sodas.  I have Rocket Fizz Root Beer Float and already reviewed Gene Aurty’s Root Beer.  Rocket Fizz is predominately known for a diverse candy line (some say over 4,000 varieties), but unique sodas are also a niche.  Web search found they have made over 500 varieties of soda over their history.  Not all directly under the Rocket Fizz parent company.  They even make a Sugar Ray Leonard Root Beer!


Ingredients: carbonated water, cane sugar, caramel color, citric acid, natural and artificial flavor, and sodium benzoate to preserve freshness

Nutrition (from the bottle)

Calories 
65 mg Sodium.
40 g sugar (14%) of Daily Carbohydrates
0 mg Caffeine

Aroma and Flavor – 2.25 out of 3 mugs

Immediately upon opening it had a minty root beer aroma.  The first sip found a light and mild flavor. Then the hint of vanilla and strong wintergreen surface after a few seconds.  It is very smooth and sweet.  There are hints of cinnamon, which fade quickly.  It is a decent flavor mix yet the minty is to dominating for my preference.  It lacks the sarsaparilla, caramel and vanilla I prefer.  I did score this high as it is a solid and smooth beverage, if you like the mint.

Head – 2.0 out of 3 mugs  

The Head is medium height and frothy.  The foam is smaller than I typically see for a root beer yet they last surprisingly long.

Zip – 1.75 out of 3 mugs    (Docked 0.5 for excessive sodium)

 Carbonation is medium and provides a slight zip yet I can’t overcome the excessive mint taste, which is hard to miss.  I wonder of the 65 mg of sodium is what I have falsely called zip.   This is almost twice as much as any other root beer I reviews at this time. 

Post Consumption Impression – 2.0 out of 3 mugs  

 This is smooth yet has an odd, sticky aftertaste that is minty.  I have the feeling I recently brushed my teeth. 

Would I recommend this at 8 out of 12 mugs?


I would not say I would not recommend the root beer.  It had some qualities that are superb for those who want a mint beverage with a splash of traditional root beer.  They do not use HFCS.  This is not my preference, and for that reason the score is lower than some other reviewing might rate the beverage.  Although, of the minty root beers I tasted, this is one of the best!

OTHER REVIEWS 

Eric's 2 of 5 barrels
Anthony's 84 out of 100
Rob's 7 out of 10
Steve's 6.5 out of 10
Cosmo's 8 out of 10 IBCs

No comments:

Post a Comment