Monday, November 9, 2015

Doc Brown (#19 - Rated 4.5 out of 12)

Dr. Brown’s soda originated in 1869 by J&R Bottling.  Former marketing director, Harry Gold, said a New York doctor used celery seeds and sugar to invent the cream soda and celery tonic now known as Cel-Ray.  Rumor has it this was a Jewish preferred soda and the root beer followed.  It is an East Coast brand sold primarily in New York and South Florida. 

In 2013, J & R Bottling transferred the bottling rights to LA Bottleworks.  Pepsi currently bottles it so I bet the premium 1869 aspects are no longer part of the mix.



Ingredients: carbonated water, high fructose corn syrup, caramel color, natural and artificial flavors, gum Acadia and Citric Acid.

Nutrition (from the 12 oz bottle)

Calories 170
0 mg Sodium.
42 g Sugar (14%) of Daily Carbohydrates
0 mg Caffeine

Aroma and Flavor – 1.0 out of 3 mugs  (Docked 0.5 for HFCS)

Immediately upon opening, a heavy spearmint/wintergreen aroma came from the bottle.  This carried right over to the first drink.  There was little vanilla, sarsaparilla or caramel taste.  It was like drinking a liquefied tic-tac.  It also was surprisingly low on sweetness, even though it was packed with 42 g of sugar.

Head – 1.0 out of 3 mugs  

The head was very low and almost non-existent.  I was really disappointed and for me, a one is pretty poor.

Zip – 1.5 out of 3 mugs  

This is a very low carbonated beverage with liquid breath mints as the taste.  Once could equate that to zip, if I was drinking a beverage other than root beer.  The typical sarsaparilla taste is not apparent I gave it 1.5 as it had some impacting flavors, although not to my liking.

Post Consumption Impression – 1.0 out of 3 mugs (0.5 docked for HFCS)

This is a beverage that I would not run away from although it would be enjoyed with food.  Imagine how food would taste if before every bite you brushed your teeth with wintergreen toothpaste. 


Would I recommend this at 4.5 out of 12 mugs?


I'm not really sure if I would recommend this root beer.  It wasn't memorable and would pass for any old root beer?  I would not refuse it if offered to me as a last choice, but might ask for other options to verify it is the last choice.

OTHER REVIEWS
Root Beer Review 4 out of 10
Eric's 3 out of 5 barrels
Root Beer Respect 6 out of 10
Cosmo's 5 out of 10 IBCs

No comments:

Post a Comment