Monday, October 24, 2016

Mom’s Root Beer (#54 tested - rated 5.25 out of 10)

They use a cute gimmick on the bottle.  As a reference to Dad’s root beer, they say “The Better Half”.  I tried to find information on the brew.  The bottle states go to www.momsrootbeer.com but that comes up as “404 (page not found) Error”.  It also stated “Distributed by Core Beverage, Minneapolis, MN” but that company has no website nor any information.  So I do not have much background on this beverage.  That is too bad as I like knowing how it originated and how it evolved. 



Ingredients: Purified carbonated water, pure cane sugar, caramel color, sodium benzoate, natural and artificial flavor, citric acid



Nutrition 12 oz. serving (from the bottle)

160 Calories
45 mg Sodium.
43 g (14%) of Daily Carbohydrates
0 mg Caffeine

Aroma and Flavor – 1.5 out of 3 mugs

The aroma is a little medical.  Almost like there is mint mixed with slight vanilla.  The first drink was very watered down, although the flavor grew with the second drink.  Unfortunately, this is not the better half in my opinion.  Both the aroma and flavor are average at best. 

Head –0.5 out of 3 mugs  

The head was almost non-existent.  Some people prefer little or no head to the beverage.  I prefer a medium head with larger foam bubble.  This was rather disappointing.

Zip – 1.5 out of 3 mugs  

While the first drink has little or no zip, that was just a sip.  If you take larger drink, the carbonation provides a little sensation, but the flavor mix does little in this category.

Post Consumption Impression – 1.75 out of 3 mugs  

I scored this brew higher than I believe it deserves, as the beverage was better than the 3.5 in the first three categories.  Although, I could not score it higher as the post consumption impression was average, at best.
 
Would I recommend this at 5.25 out of 12 mugs?

While this is not a terrible brew and I would not turn it down if it was offered, I would not seek out the beverage.  That is unfortunate, as the play with the name is the bed part of the beverage.

OTHER RATINGS

No comments:

Post a Comment