Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Baumeister (#40 - rated 8.5 out of 12)

The story goes that this brew originated in 1907.  The web site quote “It is still made today with that same local tradition and care”.   Only it originated with artesian water and I bet it did not use High Fructose Corn Syrup.  So they may make it similar, but the ingredients changed, I would think.


Ingredients: carbonated water, high fructose corn syrup and/or sugar, caramel color, artificial and natural flavors, citric acid and gum acacia, preserved with sodium benzoate



Nutrition 12 oz serving (from the bottle)

170 Calories
45 mg Sodium.
43g (19%) of Daily Carbohydrates
0 mg Caffeine
5% Iron

Aroma and Flavor – 1.75 out of 3 mugs (Docked 0.5 for HFCS use)

The initial opening aroma is ordinary.   It almost has a cinnamon aroma with a slight hint of wintergreen.  The first sip verified my thoughts.  I sensed cinnamon, wintergreen and a little licorice.  There was no noted vanilla flavor, which I enjoy!  It did have a nice overall flavor that was mixed well.  There is a slight aftertaste I cannot place, but it is not pleasing to me.
Head – 2.2 out of 3 mugs  

The head was very nice and frothy, although it dissipated fully within 30 seconds. 

Zip – 2.25 out of 3 mugs  

The brew has a slightly above medium level of carbonation.  I wonder if the high sodium content provides the sensation of more bite than the beverage deserves.    This is a solid balance between carbonation and flavor

Post Consumption Impression – 2.25 out of 3 mugs  

This is interesting.  For that reason it scores slightly higher than I would normally provide for the brew.  It is unique and I think there is enough variety in the flavor mix to leave most with a good impression.  I said good, not great!
 
Would I recommend this at 8.25 out of 12 mugs?

This is a brew that may be perfect for a hot summer BBQ gathering.  The strong mix of flavors makes this perfect with the right food.  Although, it is not a brew I would select for drinking without the meal.
OTHER RATINGS



No comments:

Post a Comment