Saturday, December 19, 2015

Big Ben's (#27 - Rated 4.0 out of 12)

This is a brew bottled by the Catawissa Bottling Company in the rolling hiss of Central Pennsylvania.  They say they have been making Big Ben’s since 1926.  They appear to stay true to simplicity, as the website looks like is from the 1990’s early Netscape Navigator built.  That is about all the information I could find on them.  Unfortunate there is little history, as I like to have a full background.


Ingredients: carbonated water, sugar, caramel color, natural and artificial flavors, sodium benzoate (preservative), citric acid, yucca extractives and acacia.

I have not seen the Acacia before and still not sure why it is added.   Then I tried to see what Yucca Extractive was?  Web MD explained it best at this link.

Nutrition 12 oz (from the bottle)

180 Calories 
30 mg Sodium.
44g (15%) of Daily Carbohydrates
0 mg Caffeine

Aroma and Flavor – 1.5 out of 3 mugs

Upon opening the bottle, either I have a bad cold or water would have been the same.  It was nothing extraordinary.  At first drink I was very pleased. (The reason it scored that high!)  As I continued, the pleasure waned quickly.  It has a very soft and sugary taste.  The sodium content is high and for the first time I really can taste the sodium. 

Head – 0.5 out of 3 mugs  

What, there is a head?  Where is it?  It was nearly non-existent.  The little foam appearance ring around the outside of the class remained, but not much to be proud of in a head.

Zip -- 1 out of 3 mugs  

The beverage was average in zip.  Low carbonation a slight creamy taste.  It did not provide a lasting impression.

Post Consumption Impression – 1 out of 3 mugs  

While it was not considered bad, the more I drank the less I appreciated the beverage.  There is more of a slight root beer taste with excessive sugar taste.  It reminds me of a moderately flat Barq’s

Would I recommend this at 4 out of 12 mugs?

If you were to have several friends who wanted to try this, go ahead but limit the brew to 2 ounces.  As the first taste was tolerable, just finishing the bottle was the issue



No comments:

Post a Comment