Sunday, August 21, 2016

Mason’s Keg Brewed (#47 - rated 6.25 out of 12)

This is an Atlanta, Georgia brew that Mason and Mason, Inc. originated in Chicago in 1947.  By 1970, it was produced by Falsetto, who also made Dr. Wells.  In 1975, PepsiCo Inc. exercised a hostile takeover.  Fortunately, the Federal Trade Commission believed Pepsi owned too many flavors and forced it to sell some of its brands.  In 1978, Monarch Beverage Company bought the brand.  They also made Dad’s Root Beer and Mason’s.  It is sold in limited markets today.



Ingredients: carbonated water, sugar, caramel color, sodium benzoate (to preserve), citric acid, natural and artificial flavors

Nutrition 12 oz serving (from the bottle)

160 Calories
50 mg Sodium.
40g (13%) of Daily Carbohydrates
0 mg Caffeine

Aroma and Flavor – 1.5 out of 3 mugs

 At first sniff, it seems like a commercial root beer.  Hard to explain, but a little fake?  The first taste is enjoyable but tastes chemically based.  I can’t describe that either.  It just does not have a solid mix of flavors.  A slight cherry hint makes me think this is a cola version of a shrilly temple.  I did not taste any caramel at all!

Head – 1.75 out of 3 mugs  

The head is large, and the first part dissipates quickly. The last ½ inches last longer than average.    

Zip – 1.25 out of 3 mugs  

The only zip is if the carbonation is slightly larger than the average.  This would be a flat, lightly flavored sugar water if not for the carbonation.  I like a smooth mix of flavors, which does not meet that desire.

Post Consumption Impression – 1.75 out of 3 mugs  

This is a good brew, although it is not at the top of the heap either. I would drink it if one of my favorites were not available. I almost believe I am drinking a dad’s slightly flat root beer.
 
Would I recommend this at 6.25 out of 12 mugs?

Mason’s Root Beer is worth a try, but I would not go out of my way to find the beverage.

OTHER RATINGS

No comments:

Post a Comment