Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Golden Maple (#2 reviewed - Rated 3.8 out of 12)

After my disappointment with the Always Ask for Avery’s root beer (2 out of 12 mugs), I went for something a little closer to Minnesota.  I selected Golden Maple Root Beer from the Lakefront Brewery, Milwaukee, Wisconsin.

Lakefront Brewery is Milwaukee’s first brewery to grow from a microbrewery to Regional Craft Brewery status, meaning 50% of its volume is all malt beers, or beers that use adjuncts to enhance rather than lighten flavor.  The brewery is based in the Beerline B Neighborhood and is founded in 1987 by brothers Russ and Jim Klisch.  They routinely names beers after neighborhoods.

The brewery was the first in the U.S. to bottle fruit beer since prohibition was repealed, starting in 1992 with the seasonal Lakefront Cherry Lager. The brewery prefers only Wisconsin-grown ingredients.   Then came Root Beer!

For starters, the ingredients include: Carbonated Water, Pure Cane Sugar, Pure Wisconsin Maple Syrup, Caramel Color, Natural Root Beer flavor, Gum Acacia, with preservatives including sodium benzoate and potassium sorbate.

At first glance, I thought they mistakenly filled a bottle with one of their beers.  The color was just like a light beer, not a dark bold root beer I come to enjoy!  Not only did they make a root beer look like a premium pilsner but they sweetened it with Wisconsin Maple Syrup.  Must be the desire to use local ingredients?  After my trip to Vermont last year, I think it would be better to use Vermont Maple Syrup.  Although, why sweeten a root beer with maple syrup at all?  I was hard pressed to identify the root beer extract amongst the very distinct flavor of maple syrup. Now this brew is also sweetened with cane sugar so with that double shot of sweetness.


Aroma and Flavor

It is smooth, foamy, and very very sweet. The very light carbonation and the lack of traditional root beer flavor are immediately evident.  It does have more of the maple syrup aroma.  The very light carbonation is not a favorite of mine either.  Although, the pure cane sugar and Maple Syrup flavoring makes for a unusually pleasing drink, if you enjoy low carbonation.  I am not sure if I would drink this again, but I am sure many may like the unique blend of sweetness.  The maple flavor taste linger way to long for my taste!  It scores a 1.3 out of 3 for aroma and flavor solely based on the unique taste, even though it is not my preference. 

Head

There was a medium head with low carbonation (I like the higher carbonation).  The head was not lasting at all. The score is 0.5 of 3 for the head.

Zip

There is no carbonated zip from this beverage.  It packs a very powerful sweetness with all maple syrup and no vanilla (my preferred blend) flavor.  This is not my preferred taste but has a memorable zip in flavor water, a score of 1 of 3 for zip.  

Post Consumption Impression

The post consumption feeling was one of excessive sweetness.  I bet it would be the same if you drank several ounces of maple syrup?  As far as sweetness, it took me back to the days of excessive sugar Kool-Aid.  The high level of sweetness sticks with you long after it is finished.  I give it a score of 1.0 out of 3 for post consumption impression, but not a post consumption impression I personally enjoyed.


Would I recommend this?  

Sure, with hesitation.  If you like a very light carbonation and LOVE maple syrup, this will be a hit for you!  If you prefer the dark, higher carbonated, hint of vanilla and medium sweetness like me, may try another option.  

Overall score is a 3.8 out of 12 mugs, and that is more my preference for a bolder carbonation and vanilla hint that was not part of this brew.  For my older readers, Lenny and Squiggy must be proud! (If you know what I mean, leave a comment.)

No comments:

Post a Comment