Monday, July 11, 2016

NORKA, Akron backwards! (#43)

Based in Akron, Ohio and originally founded by Jacob Paquin in 1924.  Jacob desired a handcrafted sparkling beverage. It was common after prohibition that breweries switched to producing soft drinks.  As part of the competition, Paquin a factory called NORKA.  A man after my own heart when you play with words.  Like when I once drove through Nebraska and saw all these adds for the Aksarben facilities.   Also when I drive down a road and see a car that is U R A Bus.  See the twist?  The car is Subaru.  Norka is the hometown Akron spelled backwards!

During peak production, NORKA 24,000 bottles a day!  NORKA shut down operations in 1962, capping off nearly 40 years of soft drink history. 

Last year, Michael Considine, an Akron native, revived the brand.  They produce a Gluten and Caffeine free drink that is also low in sodium.




Ingredients: Carbonated water, Cane Sugar, Natural Flavor, Caramel Color, Lactic Acid, Potassium Sorbate (Preserves freshness), Sodium Benzoate (Preserves freshness).

Nutrition 12 oz serving (from the bottle)

170 Calories
15 mg Sodium.
45g (15%) of Daily Carbohydrates
0 mg Caffeine

Aroma and Flavor – 2.75 out of 3 mugs

This had a light aroma.  Really nothing notable and was not sure what to expect.  At First sip, I thought this was great.  Then I found an odd aftertaste.  Almost a bitter aftertaste.  Then I wonder what was that outstanding beverage I just enjoyed and have another sip.  Go though the same process.  It is creamy and smooth with a bold vanilla flavor, yet not like a cream soda vanilla.  Overall, pretty nice!

Head – 2.5 out of 3 mugs  

The head was very foamy and dissipated quickly.  I like the balance.

Zip – 2.5 out of 3 mugs  

This is a unique blend that is not the same impression at first sip, during the drink or long after.  Carbonation is very balanced.  It has a sharpness that could easily be disliked by many, yet I enjoyed.

Post Consumption Impression – 2.5 out of 3 mugs  

This was a love hate root beer that had more love than hate.  It leaves you with a desire to want more and trying to think, “what did I just drink”?   For me, it rates high.  Be curious what others think.
 
Would I recommend this at 10.3 out of 12 mugs?

YES I WOULD!  I will look for this again.  Of the 45 root beers I reviewed, this is in the top 5!


No comments:

Post a Comment