Sunday, October 11, 2015

Crater Lake (#16 - Rated 7.5 out of 12)

I know, this is a twist of the Bob Seger song, but that song came to mind immediately upon pick up the bottle.



To start, unlike some soda’s that have a long history in many places on the web, Crater Lake was a mystery and a new player in comparison to others i have tested.  The best information is on their own website.   So I have very little unique info to share.


Ingredients: Sparkling Water, pure cane sugar, caramel color, natural and artificial flavors, sodium benzoate and citric acid.

Nutrition for 12 oz (from the bottle) 
  • Calories 160
  •  Mg Sodium 60
  •  41g (14%) of Daily Carbohydrates
  • 41g Sugar
  • NO Caffeine

Aroma and Flavor – 2.5 out of 3 mugs  

When I opened the bottle, the aroma was pleasing.  It has a dash of fruit but no strong fruit taste.  I was anticipating a solid soda. 

At first sip, I was really disappointed.  Then a few seconds went by and desired a second sip.  For not having HFCS and low carbonation, I was not turned off by not ready to rave either.  It had a solid balance yet I prefer great vanilla and it lacked in that category.  A stronger hint of vanilla would have made this a highly rated beverage for aroma and flavor, although it lacks in other qualities.

Head – 1.25 out of 3 mugs  

Well below average and little there was disappears fast. 

Zip – 1.75 out of 3 mugs  

The root beer does not give me a sensation of pure enjoyment.  It is a root beer in this category.  I wonder of the use of sparkling water removed some of the zip but added to aroma and flavor.  This is very low carbonation beverage.  It does have a slight citric acid taste that I prefer not to experience.  Although overall, the zip is slightly above average.

Post Consumption Impression -- 2 out of 3 mugs  

There is nothing special here, just a balanced taste without HFCS.  I believe a little more carbonation and vanilla would increase the score to be in the top of the class.  The way it is, I would buy it again, but not go out of the way to find it like a few others I have rated.

Would I recommend this at 7.5 out of 12 mugs?


I think this is a solid middle of the road root beer that you should try.  One thing I noted is the sodium content is higher than any other I have reviewed to date.  

I would not go out of my way to find this brew, but if it available, try it and leave a comment on your thoughts.

OTHER REVIEWS

Anthony's 90 out of 100
Eric's Gourmet Root Beer 2 of 5
Rob's Root Beer Review 8 of 10
Saw Whet 9 of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment