Sunday, August 13, 2017

Bulldog - #86, 9.25 out of 12

Been a while since I completed a review.  In fact, almost three months.  There is a reason for the delay.  I was hospitalized with deep vein thrombosis, pulmonary embolisms and anemia.  Well over a month since I left the hospital, I still battle the issues with very slow progress.
Before the hospitalization, I started to set up a Microsoft Word file long in advance of the test.  I get links to the brew in the file and type basic information for each brew.  This makes my review as the focus as opposed to all the extraneous information I like to add first.  This brew was rated 10 of 10 by many and high by all.  So, I guess that builds some anticipation?

The slogan is “Unleash the Taste” which is a bold statement.  They also use real bulldogs on the label, appropriately named Barley (male) and Hops (female).  The dogs live in Fresno, California.  There is some decent history on the website.




Ingredients:

Carbonated Water, Cane Sugar, Honey, Maltodextrin, Natural and Artificial Flavors, Sodium Benzoate, Real Vanilla, Phosphoric Acid, and Salt.

Nutrition 12 oz. serving (from the bottle)

160 Calories
45 mg Sodium.
41 g (14 %) of Daily Carbohydrates
0 mg Caffeine

Aroma and Flavor – 2.5 out of 3 mugs

Before opening the bottle, I noted this the first brew I have ever seen that uses three different sweeteners (Cane Sugar, Honey and Maltodextrin) and list “Salt” as an ingredient.  Upon opening the bottle, I was fully aware it was root beer and it was dominated by vanilla.  This was also noted in the first sip.  Now I love vanilla, so I should love this brew.  Yet the sweetness factor was very high.  This score is high due to the vanilla flavor, which I love.

Head – 2.5 out of 3 mugs  

The head is very tall with very fine bubbles.  It dissipates slowly yet full dissipation in about 90 seconds.  A very solid head.

Zip – 2.25 out of 3 mugs  

You can taste the honey and vanilla yet they are balanced and do not detract from the brew.  However, there is a sticky sensation that I did not mind, but may detract the favor mix for some. There was medium carbonation and scores a little lower as the flavor are very fine, just overpowering sweetness.

Post Consumption Impression – 2.5 out of 3 mugs  

The brew was a lot like Henry Weinhardts without the excessive foam.  I really loved the flavor (strong vanilla) yet the salt and the sugar were also highly noticeable.

Would I recommend this at 9.25 out of 12 mugs?

Yes, I think it is a highly-rated brew, although it scored slightly lower for me due to the sweetness.  Then again, it scored high for the vanilla.  In the full range, I would take two points off if I disliked vanilla.  I also found it much more enjoyable when it was on cold ice and slightly watered down from the ice. 

OTHER REVIEWS





No comments:

Post a Comment