Saturday, July 2, 2016

Jack Black's Dead Red (#41 - Rated 9.0 out of 12)

The third time available in 420 Years? Really? I was not sure what to expect. I prepared the hyperlinks at the bottom first and saw the scores all over the place. Does it appear to be a love/hate relationship with root beer?

The presentation is a brown glass bottle with a wacky cartoon pirate and two swords on the dark label.   The cap reads, “Once you’ve Jacked Black, you’ll never go back.  Better dead red and just plain dead”.  The overall presentation is a little goofy!

Jack Black's Dead Red Root Beer is caffeinated.  The ingredients mimic an energy drink with Brazilian guarana, herbs, extracts, and finally, sweetened with cane sugar.


Ingredients: Carbonated Water, Cane Sugar, Caramel Color, Caffeine, Brazilian Guarana, Sodium Benzoate (Preservative), Phosphoric Acid, African Capsicum, Natural And Artificial Flavors, Red #40.


Nutrition 12 oz serving (from the bottle)

I scoured the web for 15 minutes and no nutrition is provided on the bottle or the web.  It stated I should call the 1-800 number for nutrition.  When I called, it was a non-working number.

Aroma and Flavor – 2.5 out of 3 mugs

Once opened, the anise, horehound, and vanilla are noted. It was quite pleasant and inviting! The blend was a little medicinal. The first sip found a sweet and creamy vanilla with other traditional root beer flavors. This is to my liking. You get the intense guarana and other spices bite by the second drink. The longer I enjoyed the beverage, the greater the medicinal flavor was noted.

Head – 2.25 out of 3 mugs

The head is frothy but small.  It took well over a minute to fully dissipate.

Zip – 2.0 out of 3 mugs

The carbonation is lower than expected.  A very good blend of spices makes this a unique and enjoyable brew.

Post Consumption Impression – 2.25 out of 3 mugs

 This is a solid brew, but be cautious if you are caffeine-sensitive.  Without 30 minutes of drinking the brew, I felt the effects.   
 
Would I recommend this at 9.0 out of 12 mugs?

I understand why other reviews showed a Love/Hate.  This is a unique brew that I enjoyed.  If the push of vanilla cream are not your preference, this is not for you!  

This is not a brew I would enjoy with a meal.  It is unique and I would prefer this a social drink.  In that setting, I rate this highly.  For that reason, it scores higher.  A score of 9 ties it with four others that score 9 (out of 41 tested).

Other Reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment