Saturday, June 13, 2015

Always Ask for Avery's - 1st Review (Rated 2 of 12)

       I first noticed that the ingredients are not listed anywhere on the outside of the bottle.  They write “Avery’s has been making old flavored gourmet soda for over 100 years using real cane sugar and the finest quality ingredients.”  I scoured the web to find the ingredients: Carbonated Water, pure cane sugar, natural flavors, Citric Acid, caramel color, and Sodium Benzoate.



Aroma and Flavor - 1 out of 3 mugs

The aroma/flavor I expect from a root beer is nonexistent.  It reminds me of the aroma I get when entering a 100-year-old gas station restroom (recently cleaned) in the middle of Nebraska.  It's not repulsive, but you have difficulty determining the source.  I wanted to avoid venturing on and try this beverage.  

Head - 0 out of 3 mugs

There was little or no head, and the carbonation was low. It was rather flat, with a head that disappears if you blink. 

Zip - 0 out of 3 mugs

There is no zip from this beverage at all. Slight sweetness, no vanilla noted, and a slight caramel flavor were noted.  Since this is better than muddy water, a 0 out of 3 score for zip.  

Post Consumption Impression - 1 out of 3 mugs

The best way to describe the soda is when I leave Barq's or A&W open overnight and drink it in the morning; it is close to what I experienced with the newly opened bottle of Always Ask for Avery's.  It does not leave a foul taste in my mouth, so I scored 1 for the post-consumption impression.
  

Would I recommend this at 2 out of 12 mugs (2 out of 9 mugs without head)?

No, unless you like stale, day-old Barq's or A&W. The most disappointing part was the blatantly misleading label. They once made this with real cane sugar, but the second ingredient is misspelled corn syrup. I also wonder if this is a case of root beer going bad, as others have rated it this high.

OTHER REVIEWS

Cosmo's - 5 of 10
Root Beer Respect - 6 of 10
Anthony's - 90 of 100
Derek Janiak – 3.9 out of 10 

No comments:

Post a Comment